Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

THE SOUND OF MUSIC!!!


I am a die-hard fan of The Sound of Music. I saw the movie back in the Betamax days. Ok, you can stop laughing now.

Ever since my dad popped that tape into the player, me and my brothers got hooked into the movie. Watching the movie run for more than 2 hours was really a fun treat for us.

And now that I grew up, I even enjoyed watching the scenes where the Mother Abbess, played by Peggy Wood, wearing what seems to be episcopal gloves, giving her blessing to the entire Nonnburg Abbey community.

Here is a screenshot:

Back in the old days of Hollywood, they are very meticulous to details and even in portraying Cathiolic Liturgy.  You can see the Mother Abbess giving her blessing.  At the left side of the screen, you can see a nun holding a crozier.  This is probably the crozier of the Mother Abbess.

The wedding scene is really a liturgical eye candy!  I did not appreciate it when I was a kid.  But now that I am older and a traddie...


And here are interesting photos from the Von Trapp children of the movie.  Thanks to Charmian Carr, who played Liesl in the classic movie for the photos. These appeared in her website, www.charmiancarr.com

Here they are lined-up according to their "age" in the movie, as you can see from the photo they are holding in front.




Here they are on the exact same location where they filmed the scene "Do-Re-Mi"

And here is their autographed group shot:



Here is Charmian Carr talking to the present and real Mother Abbess of Nonnburg Abbey.  She made the nostalgic trip back to Salzburg, Austria on the 40th Anniversary of the movie.


Do visit her website:  www.charmiancarr.com

And here is a rare interview with "Maria and the children" 40 years after in Good Morning America.

1 comment:

  1. Based on my research for the Sound of Music movie, the abbey chapel shot above was actually filmed at Saint Margarethen Chapel in Saint Peter's Cemetery in Salzburg. You'll note the graveyard and tombstones were the inspiration for the 20th Century Fox abbey roof escape scene. I remember reading this was not the intended set for the chapel but, for some reason, they used it. The scene is not historically accurate. Nuns and monks traditionally face each other in choir. I know this from several monastic visits all over the world. It's a great movie and I love it just as much today as when I first saw it in 1965!

    ReplyDelete